- [March 4, 2007] Windows Vista Users: Connection Issues
Some of you may be experiencing problems with playing muds with computers running Windows Vista, the following explanation was found on the zuggsoft.com forums along with the suggested fix.
Windows Vista enables something called AutoTuning by default which earlier windows versions had disabled, to bypass this problem login to your computer as an Administrator and open a command shell (Start -> Run -> type cmd ) and enter this text and then hit return:
netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disable
You will need to do this each time you restart your machine until Microsoft resolves the issue in a later patch. Thanks to Matt from IRE, Zugg of Zmud/Cmud and Derek of TMS for bringing this to my attention.
- [June 21, 2006] The Mud Connector Social Network Launch
We are proud to announce the launch of the first Social Network devoted to
mudders, tentatively being called TMCnet. The Mud Connector Social Network offers a suite of
features designed to help bring the mud community closer together, including:
- Member profiles - simplifies the process of finding other mudders with similar interests
- Image Galleries - Share your images with other Social Network members.
- Instant Messaging - Send and receive IMs with other members, as well as with mudders connected to the IMC network
- Mail - Send and receive TMCnet mail to/from other members
- Friendships - two-way friendships allow otherwise private content to be shared among members
- Groups - create your own private, semi-private or public groups and invite other members to join in targetted discussions
- Journals - post entries in your personal or group's journal for other members to read and optionally comment on
- Events Engine - create calendar events for others to read about and take part in
We welcome you to come and activate your TMC member account ( for members 14 years of age and older ) and join us on TMCnet.
- [March 12, 2006] TMC Stats/Ranking System Revision
Today (03/12/2006) TMC will be launching our new (read: revised) stats
and ranking system, the coming changes will reflect many of the suggestions
from our users in a recent discussion board thread. A quick summary of the changes follows:
- The 3-vote system is being replaced by a single vote system, telnet and homepage clicks will no longer count towards a mud's tmc ranking.
- The visual verification system is being removed, we will evaluate if it needs to be restored over time.
- Vote and Rank data will be reset twice monthly
We hope the new ranking system shows to be an improvement.
- [February 10, 2006] TMC RSS Feeds (edited 2-10-06)
Three new RSS feeds have been added, allowing our users to subscribe to receive discussion board summaries, new mudlist additions and new tmc mud reviews.
- [May 3, 2005] Fixing TMC Member Login Issues
There has been alot of feedback regarding tmc member login problems, which I believe
are caused by the way certain browsers handle framed content and document caching. I
made some changes to the login system today which I hope will help with this problem.
- [February 7, 2005] Stats / Rank Wipes / Anti-Proxy Code Added
We have wiped the stats and ranking tables once again after finding evidence of some
open-proxy usage in our logs. We have added code to help restrict the use of known open
proxies and prevent votes from being counted from those servers. We are logging all votes now
and will periodically check votes that were tallied for open proxies, muds found to be
using votes issued from open proxy servers will have their stats wiped and be suspended
from the rankings system (this is the only warning you will get).
- [January 11, 2005] Ranking DB Wipe / New Voting System
Many of you have written to me expressing concern about the integrity of
the rankings system. Despite many attempts to discover the source of the _holes_
and fix them I have thrown my hands up and have rewritten the voting system to
hopefully solve these issues. The new voting procedure involves matching an
code generated on-the-fly as an extra layer of confirmation before a vote may be
considered valid and applied to a muds' stats. The mud rankings and tmc stats have
been wiped so we can start fresh and examine how the new system behaves. As always
please report any suspected abuse to the TMC Admin.
- [October 29, 2004] New Mud Listings Submissions System
This is a change that has been planned and delayed and replanned and pushed back
for years now. Internally it is massive, a complete reworking of our submission and
mud listings management system; To the mud adminstrators that have been stuck with our
old, klunky, poorly designed and way out of date submissions system the new version
should seem a world of difference. Don't take my word for it, go check it out:
--> [TMC Mud Listing Submissions] <--
- [May 2, 2004] TMC Discussion Board Changes
For quite a few years our board system has remained pretty much as it was originally created
(1995 or so) while newer and flashier message boards have appeared on the scene. I have been hesitant to
make such drastic changes to avoid straying far from stock version of the software and because I knew it
would be a painful process. So after years of fielding your comments requesting a better message board
structure I finally gave in and went to work on it, and today the beta version is available to TMC's
For some information about the changes you can read my post in the general board. I welcome your comments, suggestions
for further improvements and any bug reports that you can provide.
The addition of member Avatars and signatures effects both the new version of the message boards
as well as the old, to choose an Avatar and set your signature please head to the
member settings panel.
- [March 18, 2004] TMC Mud Rankings and Top 10
- We have finally gotten around to expanding our mud statistics and making
use of all of the data we have been gathering regarding the click habits of
our loyal userbase. The result is the introduction of our
TMC Mud Rankings and one of the
most requested new features, the
TMC Top 10. Check back often as we
will soon be posting a new button and information to allow mud admins to add
voting to their websites.
UPDATE 3-18-04: Be sure to check our
rankings info page, we have provided
instructions for adding voting to your mud webpages, to provide an easy way to
allow your players to vote.
- [March 16, 2004] TMC Syndicated on My Yahoo
- TMC is now providing our listing updates as syndicated RSS news feeds on
My Yahoo. If you are a
My Yahoo user (its Free) you can use the button
on our front page to join the channel. We are also adding an RSS news feeds
for our latest discussions summaries, look on our
discussions index page
for a similar button for adding that channel.
- [January 31, 2004] Network Blockage and Resolution
- For some time some a number of muds listed here have been reported as being unreachable
by TMC's connection spider (these muds were in jeopardy of being removed automatically
by our spider this coming week). Dale Corse from
Wolfpaw has posted his account
and opinions of the situation
and has resolved the issue as far as TMC's listings are concerned. These muds
should be reported as being reachable with our next spider run.
- [January 15, 2004] Old Player Reviews Purged
- We have cleared out some old player reviews (posted over a year ago) from our database.
Those muds which have had review submissions cutoff due to our review limit may be elligible
to have new reviews submitted. If you are an administrator or staff member of a mud we
list that should now be elligible for new review submissions please email us at
- [December 12, 2003] New Article - Back to the Basics: Approach to Design of Descriptions
- Author _Tom_ offers an article which discusses design strategies for keeping a mud's playerbase interested in the mud's world.
- [December 12, 2003] New TMC Poll Posted
- See the front page for the poll and its results.
- [August 12, 2003] Muds hosted on port 4444 - Blaster/A Worm
- Due to the Blaster/A worm, many major ISPs are blocking port 4444, which the worm
uses. This means muds being run on port 4444 may not be accessible to many players.
If you are the player of a mud which runs on port 4444 and you are unable to connect
this is most likely the reason, you may consider emailing the mud administrators and/or
waiting for them to move the mud and update their TMC listing. We will expedite listing
updates for the affected muds as their submissions come in.
- [July 18, 2003] Now Accepting Article Submissions
- Have something mud-related that you would lke to write about? TMC welcomes
you to send us your ideas and let us discuss publishing your work on this website,
for thousands of mudders to read. Send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org .
- [April 15, 2003] New Review Posted - SlothMUD III
- Its been many months since we have posted a tmc staff review, we are proud
to welcome Ingrid Vertow to
our review staff and to present her
review of SlothMUD III.
- [October 14, 2002] TMC Articles - Daedalian Musing
- For some time we've been asked by our users to start providing Articles,
we are proud to introduce our first regularly-posted column
Daedalian Musing by author
Delphine T. Lynx. The column will
provide a discussion of all MUD related topics, from playing and design to
implementation and administration. Each piece is written with the intent
not only of providing concrete information, but also of provoking the
reader to view the concepts themselves differently, thereby enabling them
to go beyond what is presented in the text itself to develop something
directly applicable to their own philosophies.
TMC will also be providing articles written by a handful of regular contributors,
including an upcoming article on Building Tips and Tricks. We will also be posting
articles submitted by TMC users. If you have an idea for an upcoming article and
want to get your voice heard send us an email to
- [September 22, 2002] TMC Poll System Added
- In our continuing effort to catch up with your requests we have added a
Polling system to TMC's front page. We welcome
your suggestions for topics you would like to see polled, just
mail them to Icculus. -Iccy
- [September 21, 2002] MXP Listing option added (more)
- We have added 'Support for MXP' (mud extensions protocol) to our mud submissions
system so muds may include that info now if they support MXP. MXP support has also
been added to the advanced search engine, although it will be some time before enough
muds update their listings to make that of much use. We also finally added MCCP support
to the advanced search form options, so you may now restrict searches to muds supporting
- [September 12, 2002] Discussion Board Tweaks
- Been a busy week for me, the following changes have been made:
- Added a complete thread history to each post's
display, showing you exactly where you are in the thread and providing links to all
- Modified the reply subject so the 'RE:' is only prepended if it isn't there already.
- Added the ability for members to edit their discussion posts. Well, somewhat, you
can't really change your original post but can add a comment to clarify if something
didn't come out right in your post.
- Added a Reply Tracker to provide
a single location to display recent replies made to your discussion posts.
- [September 6, 2002] Fixed Connect Links
- It has been reported that newer versions of MSIE do not properly handle
redirection requests to telnet-based urls, which explains why many of you were
having problems with our Connect links. We have rewritten our telnet.cgi to
fix this problem.
- [August 23, 2002] Advanced Search Changes
- We have added two new features to our advanced search engine.
- You can now specify a mud creation date filter and have search results filter
our either muds created before the date, after the date or show muds created in the
- We have added result sorting, you can now sort results based on mud name (default),
codebase, or last update date.
- [August 23, 2002] NEW! Nightly Discussion Emailer
This is possibly one of the most requested new features our members have asked for.
You can now have a summary of the day's discussions emailed right to your box. To
signup for this new feature you must update your member preferences, you can do this by
pointing a web browser to update.cgi and setting
the discussion summary to 'Yes'. Also be sure to select the areas you want to track from
the list of available areas!
Also, we have added a Password Reminder to the update form as well, be sure to hit the
update panel and set your password reminder, in case you ever forget your TMC password.
- [August 19, 2002] TMC Accepting Review Requests
- Now that we finally have some new blood in the TMC reviews staff we are once
again accepting review requests.
- [July 15, 2002] Roleplay Central
- We are currently considering ways to make the
RP Central system more user friendly,
it seems to be the least used section on TMC, yet we know many of you are RPers and
could be benefiting from the system. We have modified the system so that all created
sessions must go through an approval process before being made live, this will help weed
out the garbage sessions that clearly were not meant to be scheduled events. We are also
now displaying the list of approved open sessions on our front page, right above the Random
mud link pick. Hopefully being in the spotlight will bring new attention and get the scheduled
sessions rolling along. We will be considering other ways to help while we evaluate these
If you are an avid RPer please give it a try!
- [May 11, 2001] Java Telnet Client is Back!
- We'd like to thank Dale from Wolfpaw with helping us to get the
Java telnet client
back up and running on TMC. We are sorry for the
extended downtime and for awhile it looked like the client would not
be returning. We are happy to say its back up and running right now -
have at it!
- [April 17, 2001] Player Review Cleanup
- After several requests we have cleaned out the player submitted reviews that are more than 1 year old, and all associated comments with those reviews. Muds that had their review elligibility turned off due to hitting the review limit are now elligible to have new review submissions. Mud admins associated with these muds should now email us and make a request to have their review submission status reset.
- [February 22, 2001] Resource Center Cleanup
- I finally got around to writing a spider for our
resource center to
check links and clean out the old, unreachable resources. Tonight we
removed 83 dead resources from our collection (pitiful, I know). I'm happy
to say that the resource center will be more uptodate as a result. -Iccy
- [February 21, 2001] New TMC Server (cont.)
Looks like the two weeks of repairs, tweaks, downtime, etc are finally
coming to a close. In the process we added another 256M of RAM and the
performance seems to be as it should. Please notify us if you find any
- [February 4, 2001] New TMC Server
We have bought a new server for TMC with double the processing speed, and as of monday (2-6-01) double the RAM. We hope that the new box provides much better
for your mud-connecting needs!
- [October 18, 2000] Player Numbers Added to Advanced Search
- We have now gathered enough player data to allow our
advanced search engine
to search mud listings based on selected numbers of players
- [October 11, 2000] New affiliation with FTP.GAME.ORG
- TMC is proud to announce we have formed an affiliation with FTP.GAME.ORG,
the ultimate mud archive. Mud listings based on common server types archived
by FTP.GAME.ORG will now be linked directly to the site's archive. We hope
this new navigation aid is useful for TMC users seeking to explore mud software
and other related files stored in the FTP.GAME.ORG directory.
- [May 11, 2000] Listing Audits (continued)
- Some time ago we announced that we were assembling a team of listing
auditers to check the accuracy of the information submitted to us and
displayed in the mud listings we make available. Muds whose listings have
been verified for accuracy will now have a small icon to let you know, if
you bring up a mud listing and see you know
that this mud was audited and at the time of the audit we found the info
submitted to us was accurate. Thanks to KaVir, Leah, Stigmatarr, and the
rest of the auditers for their help, thanks to Steve for creating the
icon, and thanks to the mud admins who made sure they submitted accurate
information for the mudlist.
- [January 18, 2000] TMC Moving (again) - Downtime
- We are sorry to report that Mudgate will be closing its doors soon,
they have made a happy home for us while we were here! We would like to
thank Robert Young (of AlphaTek and Fallout) for donating this server to
TMC to help make this next move as easy as possible, we VERY MUCH appreciate
this! TMC will be down as of Monday January 24th as this server travels to its
new home at Wolfpaw Services, Inc. If all goes well the server will be back
up and running on the following day, Tuesday January 25th late afternoon.
If any delays or problems arise we will keep you posted via Usenet and a temporary
'placeholder' website which will be at http://www.mudconnect.com/. Everyone
keep your fingers crossed for a speedy and
- [January 16, 2000] Graphical Mud Listings
- TMC's graphical mud listings can now be sorted by platform. A menu
is now available on the gmuds index page which allows you to display
the gmud listings for the Mac, the PC or those which use a web browser.
- [January 16, 2000] Under Construction Mud Listings
- Due to popular request we have seperated our 'New' mud listings (muds
recently added to our database) from our new 'under construction' mud
listings (those muds listing themselves as not yet being open to players).
We have also added navigation links to the New, New + Under Construction, and
Updated Listing sections to make it easier to get from section to section.
- [November 8, 1999] Discussion Boards: Filters
- Thanks to the many users who suggested this feature, its finally been
added (keep in mind the code is still in alpha mode). If there are certain
posters, muds, words you would like filtered out of the message summaries
you can now set a filter list to weed out any messages containing these
items. Visit the discussion boards and
follow the link for setting your filter list. Please report any bugs to
- [October 24, 1999] New Listings Data
- We have added mud age as a new listings field, displaying
the mud creation date by month and year. Once the data filters down we will
add new search options to utilize this data. Also, thanks to KaVir for
suggesting an alternative way to handle server type information. We are
now storing 2 fields, parent server type and additional server type info.
Eventually this will help us to standardize the way server types are
represented here to help cut down on the confusion of allowing a freeform
- [October 7, 1999] New Front Page Design
- Steve S. has done it again! In our continuing efforts to provide the
best possible navigability of this site Steve has redesigned our front
page. Please let us know what you think!
- [September 18, 1999] TMC Server Change
- TMC has moved to a new server. Our new IP address is 188.8.131.52
and our 'temporary' hostname is http://mudconnect.mudgate.com . If your
service provider's name servers are not yet resolving to the new IP you
can use one of the above locations to reach us. Please report any problems to
- [August 21, 1999] TMC Members - RP Central
- Lately we've been hearing often that roleplayers are finding it hard to
find other mudders to RP with. This is our answer, TMC's
"Roleplay Central". You can create
roleplay sessions and allow other mudders to join you on a mud of your
choice, or you can browse or search for already created roleplay sessions
and join those that are still open.
- [July 12, 1999] TMC Membership & Under Construction Muds
- The TMC Membership system has now been opened. To signup point your browser
to our signup page, its free and
we'll soon be adding new sections of the site just for members.
We are now welcoming under construction muds which are not yet open for players.
There is now an option to be set in the submissions system, if you are
submitting a mud which is not yet open for play be sure to set that flag!
- [May 30, 1999] New advanced search option: language
- We finally have a suitable set of language data to make this
option available for our advanced search engine users. You may now select
multiple languages for your search criteria.
- [May 9, 1999] New advanced search engine options
- Many of our users have been requesting the ability to search for muds
with a classless or leveless system. About a month ago we added this
info to our submission form and today we have added the search engine
options to our advanced search page.
- [March 26, 1999] TMC Summary / Player Review Search
- In our ever-present attemtps at making this site more navigable we have added
a new TMC summary to the top of our front page. The summary now contains a link
to our latest TMC review, a summary of the mud listings (with link to our
listings gateway) and a summary of our player reviews with link to our new
player review search. While the player review search is very simple right now
(just a keyword search) look for an advanced version coming at some point in
- [February 25, 1999] Advanced Search Engine Improvements
- The advanced search engine has been modified so that searches can now
include multiple code bases and geographical locations. Thanks to all of you
who have suggested this change, and thanks for having patience while waiting
for it to be implemented!
- [January 28, 1999] New Affiliates Added
- Please welcome our newest TMC affiliates,
Imaginary Realities and
MUDReview.hypermart.net. We will be providing a summary of Imaginary Reality's articles each month,
and cross-linking MUDReview's mud reviews with TMC listings. Please take some
time to visit both of these sites!
- [January 18, 1999] Player/Staff Member Reviews
- TMC is now accepting player/staff member reviews for our listed muds.
Use our search engine to display the listing for the mud you wish to review,
then follow the 'Submit Review for ...' link (found in the left column of the
listing). If the mud you wish to review does not have the review link it
means that the mud has requested to not allow review submissions.
- [January 10, 1999] New Categories/Database Info Available
- Three new categories were added this week to our categorical search: 1)
Muds with original worlds, 2) Restricted Pkill muds and 3) Non-Pkill muds. We
also added 'primary language spoken' as a new database field for our submissions
system. Once enough data is gathered we'll add this new field to the search
- [January 9, 1999] Attention Mud Admins: Java Telnet Client
- I have finally managed to patch up the java client's relay server so that
all outgoing connections to your muds are logged. This was becoming a real
problem as more and more players were figuring out they could use our client
to bypass mud sitebans - forcing admins to decide to put up with it, or
not allow connections from TMC... With the new logging in place, we want admins
to not hesitate to report problem players, and we'll take care of them at the
source. Please provide us with two or three connection times to your mud and
we should be able to accurately determine the source of the problem.
- [December 21, 1998] Take our mud players survey
- Come let your likes and dislikes be known. We have provided a survey
with some common mud features presented for you to rate as a feature you like
or dislike. Thanks to Cyber Angel for suggesting this addition to TMC and for
his suggested implementation...
- [December 8, 1998] New Site Design in Place
- As I am sure you are aware, we have received a significant face lift,
curtesy of Steve Sicherman (creator/admin of The Mudzine). This new design
should provide superior navigation over the old format, and look much
nicer (of course). If you are having problems with the new layout please
send me an email
- [October 26, 1998] New Advanced Search Options
- New options have been added to the advanced search form, allowing you to
now search based on world size and originality... Choices range from all
stock, small worlds to all original large worlds.
- [October 25, 1998] TMC Mud Reviews
- We have tried several times in the past to put together a working
team for reviewing muds - all attempts failed. This time we've got it
right! Come check out our first round of mud reviews.
- [October 20, 1998] TMCRing Now Open
- In response to popular request we have created the TMC Webring, to
link sites that provide a serious devoted mudding resource from a
central location. Any serious mud site is welcome to join, whether it be
devoted to a single mud or muds in general. To join the ring, or navigate
to other sites within it point your browser here.
- [October 12, 1998] New Categories Available
- Today we added two new categories to our
page. You can now generate listings for muds which are strictly skill-based
or strictly level-based.
- [October 1, 1998] Now Available: TMJ Article Summary
- The Mud Connector will now be making available a summary of the most recent
articles offered by
The Mud Journal.
Check here for
this month's summary!
- [October 1, 1998] Return of the Mudzine
- We are pleased to announce the return of the
Mudzine! Mudzine is now accepting news
submissions, send your news here.
- [September 28, 1998] TMC and Game Commandos Cooperation
- We are happy to announce that our listings will now be cross-linked
with the Game Commandos reviews, and vice versa. For any of our listings
which have been reviewed by GC, a link will be included so you can quickly
navigate to their review. Back links will also be provided from GC so you
can easily resume searching on TMC. Enjoy!
- [September 27, 1998] New advanced search options
- We have added two new search options to our advanced search interface:
Clan support and detailed character customization. You may now include these
in your search criteria.
- [September 1, 1998] Now Recruiting Reviewers
- The MUD Connector is looking for qualified people to help open a new
section of the site devoted to mud reviews. If you are an experienced mudder,
have good writing skills and would like to become a reviewer please send email
- [July 13, 1998] New Categories Added
- We have added several new categories to our
categorical listings page at the request
and suggestion of our users. Some additions include: muds running on the
default telnet port (port 23) - for those of you having trouble telnetting
to external port numbers, and muds based on TSR's Dragonlance.
- [June 21, 1998] New listing options
- Mud administrators may now specify in their submissions if their
muds offer clans and/or detailed character customization.
- [June 21, 1998] Graphical mud listings page
- I have redone the format of the graphical muds list, it now has two
columns of listings to cut back on the amount of scrolling that is needed.
Each listing summary now includes the status for the listing (Alpha, Beta,
etc) and will display if the mud listing is new. All listings added in the
future will include the listing date as well.
- [June 20, 1998] Some Changes to the listings format
- Two new options were added to the listing submissions. Mud admins
may now specify how large their mud world is and how original / stock it
is... Also note, due to popular request Great Britain and United Kingdom
geographical locations have been grouped together, they are now available
under the UK location in the submission system and the search engines.
- [May 23, 1998] TMC Online
- TMC Online is the mud version of the Mud Connector website. Although
it is not a game (please don't expect to slay any dragons or roleplay) the
site is open for TMC users to chat with one another, use the admin/builders
and coders lounges for recruiting help, and (of course) to search the TMC mud
database. The site is in alpha testing stage, but is fully functional. To
connect to TMC Online just telnet to
- [March 8, 1998] New mud submission options available
- Today I added four new options for mud submissions. These new options
include Hiring builders, Hiring Coders, Support for the Mud Sound Protocol
(MSP), and support for Pueblo enhancements. After the changes have been
in effect for a little while I will add these options to our advanced search
interface so they can be used as a search criteria.
- [January 20, 1998] Many new GMUDs Added
- If you haven't visited our
graphical muds list lately now is
a GREAT time to check it out. Our gmud specialist, Christine Blancher,
has been hard at work gathering info about the new gmuds coming
available. Keep your eyes on this section of the site frequently,
as it is now starting grow consistently.
- [January 1, 1998] The Mud of the Month is back!
- Due to the many requests I have received to reinstate the Mud of the Month
(MotM), I am happy to say that it has returned. Each month TMC will choose one
mud to be showcased, to see this month's MotM point your web browser to
the motm archive page.
- [December 13, 1997] Subscribe to The Mud Connector Channel
- You can now have Mud Connector mudlist updates delivered right to
your computer! See our subscribe page for
details and available channel formats.
- [December 7, 1997] Search Interfaces
- It appears that there was some confusion with having the 'Simple'
and 'Advanced' search forms on the same page, some people were
inadvertantly treating the two forms as one large form - and getting
incorrect results because of this. I have split up the two search forms
so that each has a page of its own. For simple searching you can
now use our simple search form and
for advanced searching use our advanced
search form. I hope this helps to clear things up!
- [December 2, 1997] Improved Navigation
- Back by popular request, the MUD Connector is now available with a
horizontal frames set option. We now offer three navigation options,
framless, vertical frames, and horizontal frames.
- [November 11, 1997] Change: Discussion Forums
- Due to lack of apparent interest, the 'Player Killer's Forum'
has been removed. In its place, an area for mud administration issues
has been added.
- [October 15, 1997] Mud Connector Move
- I'm sure many of you have noticed some strange behavior with
the site during the last few days; some broken images, some misplaced
links, script errors, etc... Well, the entire site is in the process
of being moved to a new dedicated server (hosted by
MudServices) and as a result
these problems are popping up. Please be patient as we are doing our best
to get things back on track. To help make the move a bit smoother we'd
appreciate it greatly if you would report any errors or quirks you
find, please email these to email@example.com. After things settle down the site should be better than
ever, quicker search results, quicker discussion boards, and the ability
to allow more traffic than we could before.
A note of interest: The Connector has three new domain names, all of which
point to the same site. These are mudconnector.com, mudconnector.net and
mudconnector.org . The plus side of this is mainly for those of you who
forget the url, the newer web browsers will be able to find us if you simply
enter mudconnector in your browser's location field.
- [October 7, 1997] MPD Search: Bug Fixed
- Noticed a serious bug in the MPD search engine today, which
was restricting most searches to return only 1 match from our extensive
database. Surprising but nobody reported this error to me, surely someone
else realized this before I, that bug must have been around for at least a
month! *ACK* Anyway, its now fixed! Please, if anyone notices any bugs,
I'd greatly appreciate it if you would report them to me!
- [August 20, 1997] Random Mud Link Updated
- The random mud link generator
has been updated to allow random selection based on a specified server
type. Please keep in mind some of the available server types only
have a few listings in our database, and so will likely cause the same
mud to appear with several reloads of the page.
- [August 3, 1997] New Statistics System
- The new statistics system is now in place and active on the site.
Monthly data is now made available, as well as the totals which were
previously available. The Top 20 system is now based on a moving average
of the last month's worth of data, this should help quelch the bias being
given to newer mud listings. Also note that all muds must have been listed
for at least 30 days before being considered for the Top 20.
- [August 2, 1997] Improvement to New|Update|Site Searches
- The results of a search for
updated listings, or
is now sorted by date, displayed newest to oldest. Thanks to the
many people who made this suggestion (too many to list here)!
- [August 1, 1997] Graphical Muds Update
- A listing was added today for White Orb, a java-based
graphical mud currently in pre-alpha phase. I also cleaned up the
entire database, fixing many of the obsolete links (amazing how
quickly locations change). I also added a screen shots url to
each listing where applicable. Not really sure why this was
overlooked in the first place.
- [July 9, 1997] New GMUD Listings
- Two new graphical mud listings were added this week: Conquest of
StoneCross from Port Zero and The Isle of Four Winds:
Rune War from Arcanium Productions. Check out the
graphical muds index page for details.
- [July 6, 1997] Mud Connector Resource Center
- Our old stagnant resources page has been replaced by a new database-driven
system. The new resource center offers a categorical breakdown of links
as well as a keyword search engine, an easy navigation system, and a way
for our users to suggest new resources to be added. Point your web browsers
to The Resource Center.
- [June 28, 1997] List of Updates
- Finally got around to making some changes that were planned
long ago (excluding the new top 20 system which was suggested
just this past week). Here is the summary:
- Added new options to the mud submission system. Submitters can
now specify the type of training system the mud uses (level or skill based)
and the type of equipment system used (level, skill or level and skill
based). This information is listed in the extended mud listings (via
- Added new search options to the advanced interface. You can now search
for muds which are 1) newbie friendly, 2) appropriate for children and
- Added a new categorical listings page. This simplified interface
allows the mud list to be generated based on a specific category. Some
of these categories are: AD&D, Dragonlance, Roleplaing muds, Science
Fiction Muds, and many more. Check out the new interface at
if you have suggestions for new categories to add send me an email, I'll
be glad to expand the list!
- Top 20 system being revamped. The top 20 muds will soon be determined
based on a moving average for one month's worth of data, as opposed to the
global averaging system used now. The data is being gathered and once the
first month of data is obtained the new system will be made active. Thanks
goes out to Alexander Fader for this suggestion!
- [June 13, 1997] New GMUD Listing: EverQuest
- A new graphical mud listing was added today, for EverQuest,
created by Sony Interactive Studios. See the graphical muds
index page for a link to the new gmud listing!
- [May 30, 1997] Roundtable Upgrade
- A new version of the Roundtable chat system has been installed in
place of the old one. Thanks to all of the Internet Explorer users
who reported the numerous bugs! They should all be squashed now.
- [May 20, 1997] New GMUD Listing: Ethereal
- A new graphical mud listing was added today, for Ethereal,
created by CyberNations, Inc.. Check out our graphical muds
index page for a link to Ethereal's listing!
- [March 28, 1997] The Help Desk
- The MUD Connector is proud to announce the opening of
The Help Desk. We have
been blessed with several
who are very knowledgable in various aspects of muds, mudding,
mud design, and assorted other fields. This service is open for
newbies and experienced users alike with questions or problems.
I hope you find this new service useful and a pleasant addition
to the site.
- [March 28, 1997] Two New Graphical Mud Listings
- Two more graphical muds have been added for you to explore!
Furcadia and Lords of Empyria can now be found via
the graphical mud index.
- [March 15, 1997] New Host Server
- Our host server has been upgraded to a much faster CPU. Its
about time really, the large databases and discussion areas were
starting to catch up bigtime! Been speed-testing most of the areas of the
site, everything is quite a bit faster, a nice improvement over the
past performance. Especially the discussion system, who has the patience
to wait 30 seconds to see a posted message? Certainly not I! Anyway,
hope you enjoy the speed of the site!
- [March 12, 1997] "About the author" added
- For those interested, I added a brief bio page for the MUD Connector
author. You can access the page at About.html.
From your feedback and email I have learned quite a bit about the
users of this site, I figure its only fair for those who want to know
something about me. Update: Added About TMC section to this
page on 2-13-98
- [March 10, 1997] Search Engine Enhancement
- Due to popular request I have added a geographical location field
for the advanced search interface. Those of you trying to find
a mud close to home should have an easier time of it with this new
- [March 07, 1997] New resources and graphical MUDs added
- I have added three new multi-player gaming links, all of which
are worth a visit! Check out our game-resources section for the new
listings ('MPG-Net' and 'MPOG') and our mud-resources section for the
new 'Great Big List of Talkers' listing. Two new graphical mud listings
have also been added: Sierra Online's "The Realm" and Tantalus' "Kingdom of
- [March 05, 1997] DarkeMud Mailing List Created
- In an effort to help those Darke-mudders trying to reconstruct the
mud I have setup a mailing list using our Mudbot software.It
is our hope that the mailing list will help those involved to better
communicate and organize their efforts.
I am also extending an invitation for other organizations to have
a mailing list hosted by our Mudbot. If you are interested contact
- [February 18, 1997] Recent Connectivity Problems
- I'm sure many of you have been experiencing problems connecting to the
MUD Connector at various times during the past month or so. This is due
to two problems:
- Router problems with our ISP's neighboring backbone - This problem
was only affecting some regions of the world and in any event has been
corrected recently with new hardware upgrades.
- Limit of server resources - The MUD Connector is using a Virtual
Server, which shares system resources with other accounts. Each virtual
server is allocated a certain portion of system resources, including
a maximum number of running processes at all time. When many users are
trying to make requests at the same time, exceeding our limits, the
server begins sending users away (hence you get the 'Sever Busy' message).
I have spoken with my provider and sometime soon they will be making available
a more advanced server, offering more processes running simultaneously.
As soon as this option is available I will convert the server over.
This will effectively double my cost for running the site, but I want to
provide the best possible service so money won't be an issue and I
won't hesitate to take the upgrade. I will post a message when this has
happened, in the meantime please try to cope with the delays. If you
get that server busy message give it a little bit of time and try again.
My apologies for this hassle!
- [February 15, 1997] Resources: New Client Resources Added
- SimpleMU and MUTT (lite) have been added to the
clients section of our resources page. As always we welcome your
suggestions for new resources to add, primarly mud-related and
client resources. If you know of a client application or a mud-related
resource not found in our list please email me the name of the
resource and the url.
- [January 26, 1997] New discussion Area
- The new forum, 'Code Snippets' is pretty much experimental and
will remain an available discussion area if it appears to be useful.
If you have pieces of code you designed and are willing to share with
other mud coders please post them here. Or, if there is a piece of
code you would like to see post a request here.
- [January 18, 1997] More Options for Advanced Searching
- I added options which allow you to restrict your searching to muds
which allow some form of player-killing and/or some form of multi-playing.
For those of you that aren't sure, multi-playing a mud means having more
than one character logged in and playing at the same time.
- [January 16, 1997] NOW OPEN: The MUD Players Directory (MPD)
- Kathleen McMahon (shae) and I are proud to announce the re-opening of the
Mud Players Directory. Want to register your mud characters in the directory?
Its simple and takes little time to do. Just point your web browser to
and press the 'Sign Up' button! The information you submit will then be stored
in a temporary database and added to the registry within a matter of days!
Looking for an old mud friend or other mudders with similar interests?
Check out the MPD search engine, or feel free to browse our listings!
The site officially opens today and we hope to stock the database with
your players' info as quickly as possible, if you find the database scant
right now please check back soon!
- [January 16, 1997] Enhancements made to Big List
- The Big List will now look for an extended listing for each mud
when creating their listing links. If an extended listing exists, clicking
the name of the mud will load it, otherwise the mud's standard listing
will be used. If you are unsure of the differences between each of the
two listing types check out our 'Search help' page by clicking the
'?' button on the
Search the Connector page.
- [January 13, 1997] New Search Engine
- The search engine has been completely revised to allow for a more
flexible and powerful search of our database. There are two modes
- Simple Keyphrase Search - For new users or for those users who
just don't know what they want, this search mode accepts a keyphrase and
scans all of the listings in the standard database.
- Advanced Search Mode - This new mode allows our users to
specify three keyphrase search modes (AND - look for all keywords, OR -
look for at least one keyword, PHRASE - treat the keywords as a text
string). For AND and OR modes keywords are space-delimited. With this
mode you can also specify a particular mud server type to search for, specify
various traits to look for (extended race selection, extended class
selection, quests, role-playing, etc...). You may also restrict your
search to just the theme of the mud.
A help system is coming soon to help make your visit a prosperous one.
Don't think we are stopping here, we have ALOT in store to help make our
search engine the most powerful way to find a mud available on the net!
- [January 7, 1997] Graphical MUD Listings
- They seem to have taken the net by storm, offering the interaction
of a text-based mud with the added capability for new graphics and
sound. In order to stay in touch with the state of multi-user gaming
the MUD Connector is now listing commercial graphical internet games.
Although our list is very small as of yet, we plan to offer a comprehensive
index of these new games. Contact
details on adding a new Gmud to the list!
- [January 7, 1997] Update: The MUD Players Directory
- Don't worry folks, the project has NOT been aborted. We are working on
the final touches to the website and hope to release it very soon. Keep
checking back, its almost ready! :)
- [December 18, 1996] Coming Soon: The MUD Players Directory
- Seeking an old mud-friend from long ago but no idea where to start?
Looking for other mudders with similar interests? Kathleen MacMahon's
MUD Players Directory
(MPD) is about to be reborn, complete with online registration utilities,
alphabetical player listings and (of course) a search engine to help find
the people you are looking for. Stay tuned, the opening is soon and we'll
post a notice here as soon as the MPD is opened once again to the public.
- [December 11, 1996] Stats System: Improvement
- Fixed up the sorting algorithm for the Top 20 lists. Previous
versions were converting to integer values for the daily averages and
then sorting. The actual floating point values are now sorted so the
true ordering is produced.
- [December 10, 1996] Stats System Reset
- The Stats system has again be rewritten to prevent the cheating
which has been taking place (people have been clicking links over and over
again to run the stats up for their favorites muds...). Thanks goes out to
Kevin Jagh from AVATAR Mud for an idea on how to get around the problem
(better than the solution I had in mind which was to get rid of the whole
stats system!). Because of the excessive level of cheating I have reset
the stats database, apologies go out to the muds which had accurate
- [December 07, 1996] Scrollable Big List
- The scrollable version of the Big List is now the default, I
hope this makes things easier for those of you with slower links
to the net.
- [November 19, 1996] Another Stats System Bug Squashed
- Thanks to Peter Lowe (of MUDvertiser fame) who spotted and reported
the fun-loving bug in the Top 20 which displayed raw telnet scores even
for Top 20 homepage visits and search requests. Ok, ok, it was sloppy
coding, so shoot me.... That was a joke, please don't shoot me. :)
- [November 15, 1996] Connection Checker Updated
- The MUD Connection Checker has been tweaked and should hopefully
be functioning better than the previous version. Each individual listing
now includes a link to the Connection checker so you no longer have to
load the Big List to get this information. Hope this makes things
easier for you!
- [November 14, 1996] Top 20 Statistics Bugs
- It has come to my attention that some now defunct muds are still
listed in some of the Top 20 mud listings. If you ever come across
such a listing please bring it to our attention so we may remove them
from the stats database...
- [October 23, 1996] Top 20 Muds
- Rewrote the code for computing the top 20 muds as determined by telnet
requests, homepage visits and mud searches. New top 20 system is MUCH
- [October 20, 1996] Out with the old, In with the new
- When the Mud Connector started it consisted of one page, each mud listing
was stored strictly as html. After acquiring about 150 mud listings this page
was split up into four pages, listing muds beginnning with A - F, G - L,
M - R and S - Z. At this time html was still the only saved format. Shortly
after I started converting the listings over to a more generic database format.
This would make it easier to make updates, add new listings, modify the
search engine, etc. Its been about a year and a half since then and we have
finally completely phased out the old html-style listings. Consequently
those four pages (A - F, G - L, M - R and S - Z) have been replaced by a
system which provides all listings for a single letter of the alphabet. Check
out the Connections Page for the new system.
- [September 21, 1996] Scrollable Big List
- You can now scroll through the Big List and view a specific segment
of muds at a time. You can start at either end of the list and view
from 20 to 250 muds at a time..
- [September 17, 1996] Statistics Database Crash
- In the process of adding new tracking code to the search engine I
managed to crash the stats database. Woop! ;) The new database was just
created and it should be stable... We'll see anyway. :)
- [September 16, 1996] Mud Statistics
- The new statistics system is now open to the public. You can
access the stats for any individual mud by clicking its "Show Stats"
link on the Big List. All listings generated by the
search engine will also contain the stats links for each mud displayed.
The system will even show a list of the top 20 muds in three fields:
- Top 20 muds by telnet daily average
- Top 20 muds by homepage request daily average
- Top 20 muds by search request daily average
- [September 11, 1996] New Update Feature for Submissions
- Thanks goes out to Larnen from Elephant Mud and his suggestion for
allowing easier updates for mud listings. From the submission page you
can now enter the mud name you wish to update and have its data loaded
into the submission form for you saving lots of time for those folks who
need to make slight changes... Please note, this feature only works with
mud listings created or updated after December 25th, 1995 since the
info needs to be extracted from the extended database.
- [September 11, 1996] Search Engine Overhaul
- Suffice it to say that the Connector has outgronw its original search
engine, causing me to have to rewrite it tonight. The original Connector
search engine in standard mode was using the alphabetized html listings
files for its database. Due to system constraints this was beginning to
cause memory overloads. The new version uses a database similar to the
extended database (yet without the extended information), this should
solve the problem.
I have lost track of the date for the remaining updates. These entries
were added sometime during or before August, 1996
- Search Form Fixed (I think)
- I have received a bunch of complaints about the search form
and submission form radio buttons not displaying on Netscape for
Windows. I think the problem has been fixed by using a contrasting
bgcolor with a black background image, I hope anyway! Please, if you
have experienced this problem in the past and it appears fixed send
me some mail, I'd love to know for sure!
- Improvements made to the Connections Page
- In addition to cleaning up the table layout for the
Connections Page I have added a utility
for listing ALL muds under a specific code base (or just
all of the muds in general, although beware, this will take a LONG while
to load). I am sorry it took so long to add this, people have been requesting
this utility for about a year now *blush*.
- The MUD Connector now has a new home
- The MUD Connector move is now official. We are active at the
new site, located at
and all requests to the old location will be redirected. This redirection
will only be available for a limited time so please be sure to bookmark
the new location, and/or change any links you might have!
The new contact email address for the Mud Connector is
firstname.lastname@example.org, please feel free to
drop us a line.
- Search Engine Overhaul, New Database
- Since December I have been gathering extended information about each new
mud being submitted, as well as trying to get some of the older listed muds
to update. Today (June 2nd) I finally got the time to overhaul the Mud
Connector search engine to accept this new database as a possible option
for searches. I am happy to say that it is now available to you as an extension
to the existing search engine, which clearly seems to be the most visited
spot at this site.
The new database can be selected as your search target (choose 'Extended
Database' in the search form options) and matches to your query will now
return the following extra information:
- Administrator's email address (if they allowed me to list it)
- The theme of the mud. Soon there will be more search options available
to target specific fields in a typical mud listing. Who am I kidding, soon
could be next year for all I know, make it when I get the time. :)
- Availability of multi-playing (ability to play more than one character
- Player killing, whether it is allowed, not allowed or restricted.
- Other stats about the mud like availability of quests, extended race/class
selection, ansi color availability, pay-per play, etc.
As soon as time permits I will be adding the ability to have search
results emailed to you. This will allow you to create custom mud lists
using the results of your mud connector searches. Of course, as usual, I am
open to your suggestions for further improvements. To be truthful most of the
enhancements made are based on your suggestions, so it does pay to send
- Enhancements made to Big List
- The Big List now has an extra field for each mud, a link to check
if the mud is connectable. Clicking the 'Check' link
will invoke a program which tries to establish a connection to the
mud, if successful the welcome screen of the mud is displayed. Also,
the Big List links for each mud's description and the new 'check'
utility will now spawn a second web browser (for those browsers that
support targets). I changed this because the Big List tends to take
a LONG time to load and navigating to and from it
slows things down dramatically. It is my hope that this will make
it easier to view mud descriptions and check on their connect status.
Let me know what you think, send me mail!
- New Resources Added
- There are now links added to the Resources page for downloading
telnet applications. For you new internet users out there, telnet
is needed for establishing a connection between two computers and
is needed for connecting to muds in particular. You will find links
to Trumpet Telnet, NCSA PC telnet and NCSA telnet for the Macs. If you
know of a resource I should add please send me mail.