d20MUD: Star Wars is a new genre of star wars MUD out there,
using the powerful d20MUD Engine used previously with the
AxiomRPG, Forgotten Realms and Dragonlance themes.
We have decided to take our code in a new direction and
start up a Star Wars version of our MUD, and have been
working hard since early 2012. The progress we have made so
far is excellent, and we now have a small custom world, and
a small playerbase of about 15 regular players, ranging from
2-6 people on most of the time. Not a bad start we feel for
only being in existence about a month.
The code is very similar to d20MUD if you are familiar with
that, but if not let's run down a few of the stock features
in our heavily modified CircleMUD codebase.
- auto experience rewards for role playing
- detailed, clean-looking score sheet
- mentor system allowing you to group with any level
- optional pvp system
- ascii automap in room descriptions
- crafting system allowing you to create your own gear with
custom stats and descriptions
- traditional, diku-style pulse based combat
- MSDP & MXP enabled code
- pet system allowing for mounts, pets and companions that
can tank for you and offer additional attacks each round.
- multiclassing system
- menu based levelling process
- d20 feat, skill and spell/force power systems
- mob bounties awarding exp, credits and quest points
- coded quests, some of which offer unique storylines
The Star Wars version has all of this, plus some additional
- 5 base classes, force adept, scout, scoundrel, squad
leader and soldier (try saying that 5 times fast!)
- 18 base races and 1 advaced race (with more to come)
- 1 prestige class (weapon master, more to come)
- taxi system for travel between zones (planets are too big
for roads-only in our minds)
- shuttle system for travel between planets
- 9 force powers to date (more to come)
- 3 planets, each having 3-5 zones
- market ward area for selling objects to other players,
saving over reboots
So we've gotten a fair bit done in a month, and there seems
to be a fair bit of interest. My ongoing list for the next
month is as follows:
- continue to fix bugs, tweak things for balance, etc. This
is always ongoing
- add more zones. My goal right now is a small zone a week,
50-80 rooms or so. I've exceed that so far.
- start to add a few story based quests to both Coruscant
and Korriban for starting players.
- Gather input and begin implementation for a space system.
phase 1 will include basic one person starcraft and combat
versus npc starcraft, plus a loot and ship customization
system. Phase I will be basics, Phase II and II will be
more complex space combat, cargo systems, capital ships,
etc. This will not be a clone of the SWR system, though it
will offer all the same functionality.
- Add more feats and force powers. Especially focus on the
scout, scoundrel and squad leader classes.
- Add more advanced races, such as Chiss, and other popular
races from Star Wars lore.
And that's about where we are to date. If you've stuck with
me this far, I'm guessing I've at least piqued your
interest. Come by and check things out. We also offer a
GUI interface on our flash web client as well as for
MUSHclient, which can make playing easier.
We're are http://starwars.d20mud.com.
Be careful there's a
flash intro with music, so you may want to turn down your
speakers. This can be toggled off by clicking the link at
the bottom of the main page.
Or if you just want to connect straight to the mud, it'
starwars.d20mud.com port 6000.
I am Gicker there. Feel free to look me up there, or ask
your questions on the 'chat' channel. Keep in mind during
the day I am at work and may be slow to respond. Our
busiest times are late afternoon and early evening, Eastern
time zone. Role play hour is 11pm-1pm EST and 7pm-9pm EST
every day. Double exp rewards during this time for role
See you on the MUD!